Posting Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This page applies only to "announcers".
- Only "announcers" who have been given "posting privileges" can send messages. (This is an attempt to keep Spammers out.).
1. Your Posting Privileges:
- --> This "privilege" allows you to send messages to the 'Track2 RailNet' Yahoo email Group (aka "The Listserver").
- --> You send the message to the Listserver's address, email@example.com (case insensitive) just like you send email to anyone else.
- The Listserver then automatically (a) makes a web page for your announcement, and also (b) resends a copy of your message to any 'subscribers' of the List.
- . . . . . Said another way, your announcements now have "eternal life" -- where any out-of-town visitors or new residents can view them days or even months later.
2. Send Yourself A BCC:
- We recommend you BCC yourself the first few messages.
- You then will receive 2 copies: one directly from yourself, and one coming through the Listserver.
- (a) Add a new address to your address book as follows:
- (b) In the "notes" section for that address, make a note: "Posting privileges" will work only for the ONE address for which privileges were give.
- You may have several other email addresses, but the Listserver will accept messages ONLY from the address given Posting privileges".
- Us volunteer Listserver assistants waste a lot of TIME troubleshooting avoidable problems, because announcers either
- (a) type the Listserver address wrong, or
- (b) they send their message from a different (wrong) address if they have multiple addresses.
4. Archives, Delays, And Attachments
Archives - IMPORTANT:
- Every message you send is given "eternal life" for out-of-town visitors or new residents to browse -- because it is "recorded" in the web page "Message Archives" .
- These archives are at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/railnet -- scroll DOWN that page, or use the 'Messages' link on the upper left of that page.
- You can verify your message reached the Listserver by checking these archives. I suggest you BOOKMARK this archive address.
- There may be a DELAY between when you send the message, and the time when the Listserver "resends" it to all subscribers.
- Please do NOT resend the message MULTIPLE times, just because the Listserver doesn't resend it right away -- because subscribers will eventually get MULTIPLE copies.
Attachments: Please avoid sending unnecessarily large attachments (over 1/2 MB), because large attachments will "choke" the modems of people having slower internet connections, and they may "unsubscribe" themselves.
5. Your Subject Line
Subject Line: This is up to you, but I suggest you try to include the date/subject/location in the subject line to better inform subscribers when they browse their message titles; for example:
- Sat 5/30 Train Show 9 am @ Smith HS, Wmspt, or
- Sun 5/31 Open House @ NCE Club, Montoursville
So for the above example, the subject line of a message you sent would look like this when you received it from the Listserver:
- [RailNet] Sat 5/30 Train Show 9 am @ Smith HS, Wmspt
- Sat 5/30 Train Show 9 am @ Smith HS, Wmspt (Same thing, but without the "subject tag".
6. Send Moderator A BCC If Problems:
- If you have or anticipate PROBLEMS with the message not "posting", please send me a BCC when you try to send the message. (My contact link is at bottom of this page.)
- Any questions, of course, please phone me (the Listserver Assistant). (A contact link for my voice mail number is at bottom of this page.)
7. Test Listserver (Optional)
There is also an optional "Test Listserver" you can use to send test messages to see how they look -- BEFORE you send them out to the actual Yahoo group where everyone sees them.
- If you want use this test system, then just subscribe to it in the usual manner, by sending a blank email (no subject, no body) to firstname.lastname@example.org . ((Make sure you then REPLY to confirm it.))
- Please send me a 'CC' of your subscribe request, so I can look for your subscription request via Yahoo, and approve your membership.
- ((Note: I have been forced to set this test Listserver to "membership by approval", since all members can post on it, and Spammers will send their garbage if I don't keep them out.))